The time has nearly arrived! In two short weeks, ICAers will gather to put on a glorious show of strength and chili. Don’t miss it. Here is what you need to know:
Time: Saturday, October 29. The first heat will kick off at 4:00 pm.
What goes on: Powerlifting as a sport consists of 3 movements: back squat, bench press and deadlift. You’ll be given 3 attempts at each lift to find the heaviest weight possible. The “score” is the sum of the highest successful lift of each movement.
Chili is one of the finer things in life but you already know that. We’re looking for 5-10 peole to bring a crock pot of chili for the masses! We’ll provide bowls, spoons, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Everyone will vote and a new chili master will be crowned!
Why you should do it: To enjoy the company of the best group of people we know, test three strength benchmarks in one evening, and maybe set some new personal records! This meet is great for our newest members and experienced members alike.
You can sign up for the meet in Wellness Living. The sign up for the chili cookoff will be on the desk. Deadline to sign up for both will be Tuesday, October 25.
- 3:00 pm – gym doors open for warm up
- 3:45pm – opening announcements, rules etc.
- 4:00 pm – first heats kick off; order is squat, then bench, then deads.
- 6:00 pm – chili will be opened up!
- 7:00ish pm – finish lifting, trophies to follow
Rules to remember:
- Back Squat – unrack the bar, step back, begin the squat. Wait for your judge’s “Up” call to stand back up. Walk the bar back in.
- Bench Press – Lift the bar off the rack (spotter may give a lift-off if requested). Lower the bar under control to the chest. Once contact with the chest is made, you may press the bar back up. (No “press” call this year.) Wait for your judge’s “Rack” call then rerack the bar!
- Deadlift – Sumo or conventional is allowed. Once the bar starts moving, it must stay in one continuous motion to lockout. When the lift is finished, wait for your judge’s “down” call before lowering the bar to the ground. Dropping the bar (even after locking out) will result in a failed lift.
- If you are bringing a crockpot, we’ll have power strips to use. There will be cheddar cheese and sour cream on hand. If there is anything else you’d like with chili, feel free to bring it!
- Please bring a serving spoon with your chili.
- Each vat of chili will be labeled with a number and that number will also be written on the whiteboard. To vote, simply put a check mark on the board under that number.
Even if you’re not lifting, come on out to have some fun and cheer on some PRs!