Not all CrossFit gyms are created equal.
John and Nikki, ICA Owners and Head Coaches
Did you know that each CrossFit affiliate (a.k.a. “box”) is independently owned and operated? Any “box” can offer you a tough workout and a good sweat, but ICA is so much more than that! With our small class sizes and experienced coaches, we deliver a fitness experience that is personalized, safe, fun, and guaranteed to get you in the best shape of your life! Whether you’re just starting on your fitness journey, you’re a lifelong athlete, or you’re an aspiring competitor, we can help you reach your goals.
With so many options for “boutique fitness” these days, it’s important to do your homework before joining a new gym. Here are some questions to consider when making your decision:
- What is the atmosphere like? Is it somewhere you’d want to spend several hours each week? Are the coaches and members welcoming and encouraging?
- How much experience do the coaches have? Do they have multiple certifications across a broad range of programs?
- Do the coaches actively ensure safety?
- Is there a coach-led warm up, or are athletes expected to warm up on their own?
- Does the coach have good command and control of the class, or does it seem chaotic?
- Do the coaches actively instruct clients during class, or do they watch from afar? (Coaches should continuously be observing the clients and providing corrections and instruction
Why choose ICA?
Because we have a proven track record of quality instruction, safety, and results! Our Coaches get to know each and every member, including their background, goals, strengths and weaknesses. This allows us to personalize each member’s workout to maximize their safety and results. We limit class sizes, so every member gets the attention they deserve. We have a strong focus on mobility, mechanics and technique.
In response to COVID-19, we redesigned our facility to provide individual work out stations for each athlete. We also reduced our class sizes. The changes were so well received that we kept them even after restrictions ended. Our small class sizes and individual work out stations allow for an unparalleled experience in terms of safety, efficacy, and community building.
Our motto, “FIT FOR LIFE,” conveys three distinct messages about our philosophy and approach to fitness:
- We believe in a long-term approach to fitness. Our goal for you is to be happy and fit not only now, but decades from now. We will help you train smart, avoid injury, continuously learn and improve, and turn fitness into a lifestyle.
- We believe fitness improves quality of life. The true reward for working hard in the gym is increased happiness and enjoyment in all realms of your life – both inside and outside the gym.
- We want to be your go-to gym for years to come. We strive to provide every member with exceptional service, and we take pride in the number of long-term members we have at ICA, some of which have been with us since we opened our doors in 2011!
ICA is more than a workout; it’s a community. From the moment you step through our doors we promise to teach you, motivate you, challenge you, support you, and help you get in the best shape of your life! (Read some of our athletes’ testimonials HERE.)
What does a daily workout look like at ICA?
The daily workout is called the WOD – short for “Workout of the Day.” Every one who attends ICA on a given day will perform the same WOD, carefully designed by the ICA coaches. (To see a list of recent WODs, visit our Blog.) Our WODs may include elements of weight lifting, gymnastics, and/or cardio exercises. We mix these elements in new and creative ways each day to ensure your body is always learning and adapting to new challenges.
Even though the workouts are constantly varied, the class structure is always the same. We start with a dynamic group warm-up, then provide instruction on the movements in the WOD. The heart of the workout may last anywhere from 5-45 minutes, but is typically 10-20 minutes long. When you work out at high intensity, this is MORE than enough to get you results! Class ends with a group cool down, and you will be on your way in under an hour.
In addition to our daily “in the gym” WOD, we program an “at-home” version of EVERY Daily WOD, so you can get your workout in even on days you can’t make it to the gym. The at-home WODs require minimal equipment, so you can do them almost anywhere! You can use the at-home WODs to:
- Supplement your 3 classes/week and get more out of your Standard membership
- Squeeze in a workout on a day when you are too busy to make it into class
- Stay on track when you’re traveling for work or vacation.
To facilitate these at-home WODs, we encourage every ICA member to obtain some basic equipment for home use, including a jump rope and a kettlebell or dumbbell (women 15-35 lbs; men 20-50 lbs). If possible, we also recommend an ab-mat, medicine ball (10-20#) and plyo box (16-24”).
Why “Iron Cross Athletics?”
The Iron Cross was a military decoration established in 1813 by the King of Prussia. The Iron Cross was unique because its awarding process was blind to Prussia’s then very class-conscious society. This lack of regard for social rank set the Iron Cross apart from other awards being issued at the time. The Iron Cross later became the primary medal awarded to German armed forces for bravery, courage, and valor. As such, the Iron Cross represents the same principal values as other cross medals such as the United States Distinguished Flying Cross, Navy Cross, or Army Distinguished Service Cross. In today’s culture, the Iron Cross has been adopted as a symbol of bravery, individualism, courage, and non-conformity.
In December 2016, ICA moved to our current location at 1041 W. Bridge St, Phoenixville, PA. (See our Contact Us page for more details.) In June 2020, in response to COVID-19, we redesigned our facility to provide individual work out stations for each athlete. Each station has its own squat rack, pull up bar, and rower to minimize sharing of equipment and keep you safe. We also reduced our class sizes and implemented strict cleaning protocol. In September 2022, we expanded our facility and now offer 2 fully equipped training rooms! We also have an athlete lounge, a personal training room, 2 bathrooms, a shower, and off street parking. We are proud of our facility and the quality we provide! Come see for yourself!