Smith lining up a PR power clean!
Join us between 4:30 and 7:30 tonight for open gym. You can do any workout you like, including a workout from the last week:
- Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1 (+4″ rack) then 10R/10L single leg box jump, 3×10 barbell hip thrusts
- Complete 5 rounds for time of: 10 thrusters (115/75#), 10 box jump overs, 10/8 cal row, 1 rope climb
- Work up to a 1 rep power snatch then complete for time and load 10-8-6-4-2 reps of power snatch (155/105#), farmer carry (heavy)
- Partner interval AMRAP in 20 minutes of: 5 box jumps (30/24″), 10 burpees over a bag, 15 wallballs (20/14# to 10/9′)
- Close grip bench press 1-1-1-1-1 then 1 min right plank, 1 min left plank, 2 min plank.
- Complete for time: 10 muscle ups then 50-40-30-20-10 KBS (53/35#), Russian twists (25/15#), then 10 muscle ups
Schedule Notes: Join Coach Kehl tomorrow bright and early for CrossFit Endurance. Check the blog tonight for the workout! Also, starting tomorrow Open Gym is extended by 30 minutes, from 4:30-7:30pm.
Yoga Note: We have good and bad news about yoga. The bad news is we are cancelling the Thursday 7pm yoga class going forward. The good news is Sunday’s 11:15am is now FREE for members and non-members! We are offering this free service because we truly believe in the benefits of yoga, and we want to make it as accessible as possible. We hope to see you (and your friends, neighbors, spouses, etc) on Sunday!
Congrats to Tiffany and Amber on the birth of their daughter Dylan!
Join us between 4:30 and 7:00 tonight for Open gym! You can do any workout you’d like, including making up a workout from this past week.
- Complete for time: 30 pull ups, 40 push ups, 50 situps, 60 squats, 70 wall balls, 60 squats, 50 sit ups, 40 push ups, 30 pull ups
- Bench Press 1-1-1-1-1 (1-board). See 12/1 post for accessory work
- Complete 8 rounds of: 40s Cleans (80% 1RM), 20s rest, 40s Row (cals), 20s rest
- Run 1 mile or sled drag 400m NFT then Back squat 5×3 (80% 1RM)
- “DT” 5 rounds of 12 deadlifts, 9 hang power cleans, 6 push jerks (155/105#)
- Complete 21-18-15-12-9-6-3 chest-to-bar pull ups, 50 DU before each round
Yoga Note: Join us for Yoga with Amy at 7:00pm. Your first yoga class is free! Additional info HERE.
CFE Note: Kehl is coaching CF Endurance at 5:30am; check comments for the WOD!
Community Notes: Happy birthday Caine! Hit up those birthday burpees in Montana!
Robin dropping under the bar!
Come in between 4:30 and 7:00 pm for open gym. You can work on anything you like including a workout from last week:
- Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1 then alternating tabata of goblet squats (53/35#), Russian twists (25/15#)
- Grace – 30 clean and jerks for time
- Complete 4 rounds, each for time of: 7 sumo deads, 14 pull ups, 21 box jumps
- Complete 8 rounds for time of: 10 push presses (95/65#), 40 DU
- AMAP in 15 minutes of: 9 KBS, 7 burpee box jumps, 5 toes to bar.
- Banded deadlift 6×3 then power clean 1-1-1-1-1 3x15R/15L single leg deads.
Yoga Note: Tomorrow’s yoga class will be a more restorative style as compared to the usual power yoga. As a trial of the new style, it will be a free session.
CFE Notes: Check the comments for Coach Kehl’s CFE workout and then come on out for the 5:30 am class! Have fun.
Rey hauling the 106’s!
Come in between 4:30 and 7:00 pm for open gym. You can work on anything you like including a workout from the last week:
- Banded deadlift 10×3 then 3x10R/10L reverse lunge to knee drive (45/35#)
- AMRAP in 15 minutes of an ascending ladder by 3’s: handstand push ups, 2xKB swings (53/35#)
- Complete 10-1 of Thrusters (135/95#) and toes to bar
- 8x500m row
- Bench Press 5×5 then EMOM for 5 minutes: 10 bent over rows
- Take 6 minutes to complete: 10 bar muscle ups, 20 deads (225/155#), 50 wallballs, rest 3 minutes then repeat for 3 total rounds.
Schedule Notes: CF Endurance with Kehl at 5:30am, Yoga with Jana at 7:00pm. Come in and get fit!
Vollmer moving weight!
Come in today between 4:30 and 7:00 for Open Gym. You can work on anything you like including a workout from the last week:
- “Nutrition Performance Test”
- EMOM for 30 minutes of power snatch, snatch
- Complete 4 rounds for time of: 10 deadlifts, 15 ring dips, 250m run rest 2 min after each round.
- Complete for time: 2000m row, 100 wallballs (20/14# to 10/9′), 10 rope climbs
- Complete 4 rounds for time of: 800m run, 15 power clean and jerks (115/75#)
- Box squat 6×3 (80%) then 50 evil wheels NFT
Reminder: There will also be CFE with Coach Kehl at 5:30 am and Yoga with Amy at 7:00 pm. Lot’s of fitness to be had!
Hats off to Fili on his first bar muscle up!
Come in today from 4:30 to 7:00pm for open gym. You can work on anything you like including a workout from the last week:
- Shoulder Press 1RM, Push Press 1RM, Push Jerk 1RM
- For time: 30 t2b, 40 DB snatch 50/35#, 500m row, 40 DB snatch 50/35#, 30 t2b
- EMOM for 12: 5 burpees over bar, 4 power cleans, 3 front squats (155/105#)
- Complete 3 rounds for time of: 21 cal row, 21 thrusters (95/65#), 21 pull ups
- Front Squat 1-1-1-1-1 then 5×5 box jumps
- Complete 100 burpees for time, 15 DU every minute OR 300 DU and 5 burpees each minute
Schedule Notes: There’s also CFE at 5:30am (counts as a regular class) and Yoga at 7:00pm (additional fee applies).
Nutrition Notes: Day 39/40. We’re down to the wire! Stay the course for another 2 days! Just a reminder that we’ll be selecting 3 winners for this challenge – one Beginner, one Advanced, and one Spirit award. The selections will be based primarily on performance improvements in the “2018 Nutrition Challenge Performance Test,” which was the daily WOD on Sept 10 and will be repeated this Friday Sept 19. We will also take into account body measurements and diet adherence. If you want to be in the running for a prize, please submit your body measurements and food log, by email, early next week. We don’t need the entire 6 weeks of your log, just October 1-7. If you tracked using MyFitnessPal, you can “friend” us at email@example.com (username ironcrossathletics) and share your log that way.
Event Notes: Last call for participants in the Lock 60 mixer this Saturday! For more details, check out this post from last week. Sign up sheet is on the desk!
Come in between 4:30 and 7:00 pm for Open Gym. You can use this time to work on anything you’d like!
Schedule Notes: Join coach Kehl for a CrossFit Endurance WOD at 5:30 am, and Amy for yoga at 7:00pm ($10 drop-in fee for anyone without a yoga membership).
Nutrition Notes: Day 32/40. We’re getting sooooo close! For those who did a “pre-challenge” InBody scan, it’s time to schedule your re-scan! This google sheet offers available times over the next 9 days. Remember these guidelines to prepare for your scan, most notably that you should not eat for 3-4 hours before the scan and should not workout for 6-12 hours. If you didn’t do the initial InBody scan, you can still sign up for a post-challenge scan ($35).
Come in between 4:30 and 7:00 pm for Open Gym. You can use this time to work on anything you like!
Schedule Notes: Coach Kehl will be holding CFE at 5:30 am and Amy will be holding yoga at 7:00 pm if you are looking for a class setting on Open Gym day.
: Day 25/40. Did you know the “official” diet of CrossFit is the Zone Diet?? The Zone Diet was designed in the late 1980’s by Dr. Barry Sears, with a goal of balancing insulin levels, decreasing systemic inflammation, and promoting overall wellness and health. (FYI – The CrossFit Level 1 Training Guide
is completely FREE, and the Zone discussion starts at page 53.)
The Zone Diet involves eating 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 snacks) with every meal consisting of 40% carbohydrates, 30% proteins and 30% fats. To simplify the tracking of these macronutrients, the Zone Diet created the concept of a “block” of food. This website allows you to search almost any food and determine what 1 block of that food is equal to. At each meal you eat an equal number of blocks of carb, fat, and protein, working toward a specific number of blocks each day. For instance, a medium sized male might target 17 blocks a day. That means 17 blocks of carb, 17 blocks of protein, and 17 blocks of fat. This might be spread throughout the day as three 5-block meals and two 1-block snacks.
Many CrossFit athletes still follow the Zone, and it’s not all that different from the 40/30/30 Macro diet that we have many ICA athletes on for our nutrition challenge. The Macro diet is more flexible in two key ways: (1) You need to hit your 40/30/30 ratio by the end of the day but not necessarily at each meal, (2) It allows us to “fine tune” people’s macronutrient ratios and overall calories. Nonetheless, the Zone Diet is a great option for any CrossFit athlete… Let us know if you want to give it a try and need help getting started!
Welcome Luke O!
Join us between 7:30-10:30 am for open gym. You can work on anything you’d like, including making up a workout you missed, retesting your “baseline,” or try your hand at this hero WOD:
AMRAP in 20 minutes of:
- 9 deadlifts (245/165#)
- 8 muscle ups
- 9 cleans (155/105#)
Hero Notes: U.S. Marine 1st Lt. Michael E. Johnson, 25, of the 7th Communications Battalion, 3rd Marine Headquarters Group, III Marine Expeditionary Force, headquartered in Okinawa, Japan, died Sept. 8, 2009, while supporting combat operations in Kunar Province, Afghanistan. See 100709.
Community Notes: Happy Birthday Fili!
Murray getting under a heavy clean!
Come in between 4:30 and 7:00 tonight for open gym! You can work on anything you’d like including a workout from the last week:
- Run 1 mile NFT then front squat 3-3-3-3-3
- With a partner complete 800m run then 6 rounds of 10 power snatches (135/85#), 3 rope climbs, then 800m run
- Complete 5 rounds for time of: 20 push ups (advace = HSPU), 30 walking lunges (DB held at chest), 40 Russian twists (25/15#)
- Sumo Deadlift 5×3 (80%) then 2×50 banded KB deads
- “Sage” – AMRAP in 20 minutes of 8 power clean and jerks (155/105#), 28 double unders, 15 t2b
- 5k row then 50 yd HS walk
Reminder: Check the blog tonight to see what Coach Kehl has in store for the 5:30 class!
Community Notes: Happy Birthday Coach Iggy!