**Scroll down for updated info on our Intramural Teams… a Battle of the Generations!
What is the “Open?”
The Open is an annual, online competition for CrossFit athletes around the world. It’s the largest and most inclusive fitness competition on Earth and a celebration of our CrossFit community! Participating in the Open will bring out the best of you, while you cheer on your peers and create unforgettable memories.
When is the Open?
The Open is 3 weeks long, beginning on February 16, 2023. Every Thursday night for 3 weeks an Open workout will be posted to the Games website at 8:00pm EST. Registered athletes will have 4 days – until Monday at 8:00pm EST – to complete the workout and submit their scores.
Is the Open for me?
The Open is for EVERYONE! Each Open workout has several versions, to encourage participation of all ages, abilities, and experience levels.
- Rx’d – For athletes that typically Rx our daily workouts
- Scaled – For athletes that typically scale our daily workouts but are familiar with most CrossFit movements
- Foundations – For our newest athletes
- No Equipment – For athletes completing the workout at home who don’t have access to equipment
- Age Groups – For teens (ages 14-17) and Masters 55+ (Age as of July 14, 2022)
- Adaptive – For athletes with permanent physical or intellectual impairments
Athletes can switch back and forth between Rx’d, Scaled, and Foundations each week, based on the specific workout that is announced. Those who complete all 5 workouts Rx will be ranked against other Rx athletes.
Where can I do the workouts?
If you are a member at ICA, participating in the Open is easy! We program the Open workout as our Daily WOD every Friday. All you have to do is:
- Register for the Open ($20)
- Show up to class on Feb 17, Feb 24, and Mar 3 and complete one of the official versions of the WOD.
- We also run Friday Night Lights every Friday evening, starting at 5pm. Details below!
- If you can’t make it to the gym on Friday, you can complete the workout during Open Gym on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. (BYO judge.)
- Post your score to the Games website by Monday at 8pm!
Even if you don’t sign up for the Open, you are welcome and encouraged to attend Friday class and complete the workout as a normal Daily WOD!
Friday Night Lights!
On Friday evenings during the Open, we’ll turn up the energy, blast the music, and throw down with our ICA fitfam at “Friday Night Lights.” Starting at 5:00pm, we’ll run heats of the Open workout until everyone has finished. Even if you complete the workout earlier in the day, we encourage you to come back to the gym from 5-7pm to cheer for everyone! Each week we’ll have a theme and a “headliner heat.”
- Week 1 = Beach Party. Wear your best Hawaiian or beach attire.
- Week 2 = School Pride. Rep your high school or college, or dress in an outfit that represents your high school years!
- Week 3 = ICA Fitfam. Wear ICA gear or twin it up with your gym bestie.
- Week 1 = Age is just a number! Our youngest and oldest registered athletes will be invited to headline.
- Week 2 = Coaches Night. ICA coaches thrown down!
- Week 3 = Soliciting Volunteers! If you didn’t get to headline in weeks 1 or 2 but want to participate, this is your week! We’re open to volunteers and nominees. Rookies are especially encouraged!
ICA Intramural: Battle of the Generations!
*Updated Info* We’re bringing back the in-house Open teams for 2023, and this year it’s a Battle of the Generations! All registered participants will be assigned to one of 2 mega teams who will battle it out over the 3 weeks of the Open. The dividing line will depend on who registers, but we expect it to be roughly Boomers + Gen X vs. Gen Y (Millenials) + Gen Z.
Each week you’ll earn points for your team just by completing the workout! The higher you place, the more points you’ll earn.
To get assigned to a team, you need to officially register for the Open at open.crossfit.com and pick CrossFit Phoenixville as your affiliate!
End of Open Celebration
On the final night of the Open, March 3, join us for a “stink and drink” at ICA, to celebrate the end of the Open and our amazing ICA community. Bring your dinner, favorite drinks, and snacks and desserts to share!
I’m in. How Do I Register?
Register HERE. Remember to choose CrossFit Phoenixville as your affiliate!
The fun continues…
After the Open, the top 10% of athletes are invited to participate in a 2nd level of competition, the Quarterfinals. Every year, we have several athletes qualify for this level of competition. The Quarterfinals take place in March, and we’ll provide opportunities for folks to spectate and cheer if interested!
The very best athletes from Quarterfinals will qualify for Semifinals. From there, an elite few are invited to compete at the CrossFit Games, which will place in Madison, Wisconsin in August. Last year, Reese made it all the way to Games for the 14-15 girls division, where she finished in 4th place!