On Tuesday 11/17, Secretary Levine updated the Pennsylvania mask order to require that masks be worn at all times when persons from different households are together inside – even when physical distancing can be maintained. Gyms and fitness centers were specifically mentioned.
The Good News: We’ve heard from several State and local officials “in the know” that the Governor wants to avoid shutting down business again at all costs. (Yessss!!!!) This mask mandate is their compromise, and we are grateful for the opportunity to to meet them in the middle.
ICA’s Updated Mask Policy: Starting Friday, November 20, masks are required at all times while inside the gym. (Mouth and nose must be covered.)
We know this is going to be an adjustment. Working out in a mask definitely adds an extra layer of challenge. Please keep in mind:
- CrossFit gyms in Philly, other States, and other countries have been doing it for months.
- It’s better than another shutdown.
We know you can rise to the occasion! We will modify programming, initially, as we all get used to working out in masks. We’ve talked to gym owners from Philly and other states, and they all said they quickly adjusted to wearing masks and it’s really not been an issue. In fact, many have cited an improved awareness of breathing control and a better ability to understand pacing decisions.
- Find a breathable mask*.
- Consider bringing a 2nd mask so you have a dry one for after the WOD.
- Consider using a 3D face bracket to improve mask breathability.
- If you are gasping for air, slow down.
- If you absolutely need to remove your mask mid-WOD, step outside for a short breather.
* We’ve heard good things from other gym owners about the Under Armor and Mission Cooling masks. John has purchased both and will test run them as soon as they arrive so we can give you a first hand recommendation! If anyone else has a mask they love, please let us know.
- Cliff Notes: There are no longer specific states on the quarantine list. ALL travel to/from PA carries with it testing and/or quarantine requirements. This is an individual mandate. Businesses were not asked to enforce this order, and we don’t want to be in the practice of tracking people’s travel and questioning their compliance. We are calling on each of you to stay safe and prioritize the health and safety of our community.
- Link to PA Travel Order Q&As: HERE
2020 has brought us one challenge after another…. but each of you has adapted and overcome. This new mandate is no different. You got this. WE’VE GOT THIS!
Thank you for being a valued member and for trusting us with your health and fitness during this crazy time. #ICASTRONG #ICAFITFAM #ISITSUMMERYET